Thursday, July 29, 2010

It's White. It's Black. Essence Hires a White Fashion Editor




http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/07/28/new.york.essence.magazine/

I'm Kinda torn hearing about this because on one side I feel who ever is best for the job is best for the job. Should we even have a magazine dedicated to just one race anyway. Then I remember what the magazine racks look like and how almost every single cover is a not a non white person, how most beauty articles aren't meant for me, and how in the editorial of most I don't see anyone who looks like my family and I remember oh there is a reason there is a magazine dedicated to black women. A magazine that celebrates black women's beauty and accomplishments. And looking on the behind the scenes world of the magazine there are a lot,
a lot less black women holding positions of power. So is it bad that I feel sort of not so great about the fact that a black magazine hired a white fashion director. Hmm. I still don't know how I feel...because would people be up in arms if she was Latina? Still thinking out my thoughts just wanted to share with you what I thought so Far


I haven't even watched the video yet... So I'm sure I will have more to say. What Do You Think?

No comments:

Post a Comment